Life is like a sandcastle something beautiful here for awhile & then gone, but the impression it makes on others can last forever.

Saturday, September 18, 2010

sleep walking & talking!!!

When my oldest son was very small he would wake up screaming and crying, we determined he was having night terrors. The doctor said he should grow out of it. It has gotten better, but he jumps up talking all during the night and walks, jumps and falls off the bed.

Recently he went to fighting the air and saying your not taking it, ran jumped the child gate, and there he is standing on top of the toilet holding his toothbrush. I asked him what he was doing he didn't answer. I carry him back into the living room where he seems like he woke up then.

I believe this could be very dangerous, my grandpa had them too and one night he jumped out his window. Lucky he was not hurt. I noticed a increase in restless sleep when we have home changes, move furniture, lots of visitors.

The bathroom event occurred when our ac was struck by lightning and we had to all move to living room for bed. We purchase a window unit to cool. It was like a big camp out, but at bed time he wanted his bed and usual routine.

5 comments:

Amo said...

My sister used to sleep walk and talk. She eventually grew out of it as she got older. By the time she was in upper elementary school/junior high, she had stopped. Perhaps you could buy locks for the windows?

Darlene said...

I haven't had much experience with sleep walking. Locks on windows sounds like a good idea.

Karen M. Peterson said...

That's so scary! For him and for you! I hope he does grow out of it.

Anonymous said...

I hope he outgrows this as well, that oculd be dangerous. My neighbor who used to live upstairs from me, her son had sleepwalking issues and night terrors. The peds suggested a dreamcatcher...not sure if it worked for her though.

hendy said...

What a scary disorder, it must be difficult to witness this in your child as a parent. I know that sometimes families have to take extreme measures like locking the doors/windows etc. I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.
hmhenderson AT yahoo DOT com