Life is like a sandcastle something beautiful here for awhile & then gone, but the impression it makes on others can last forever.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Birth 101 Me

NOTE: it may be a little raw and graphic read at own risk. 

Nothing more special than a baby entering the world, but can the in laws get along? As my cousins first son came into the world today it brought back memories of my own labor experiences.

I can say I suffered during my first child being born, not only from pain. Family interaction played a part too. I began leaking water during the night, I thought I had peed on myself. I was 34 weeks, so it was to soon for labor, and the water didn't stop. We went to the hospital an hour away and they keep me to monitor me.

Staying up all night leaking and not really any one monitoring me, the new nurse arrives saying everything looks ok, so you should get to go home. My husband beat me to telling the nurse, look I leaked all night, did they put it in the chart? She said "No." She left, then came back, examining me, testing, asking questions. She then told me that labor was about to be induced. I went to shaking! Nerves, no sleep, and will the baby be ok? 6 weeks early? Not to mention where was my doctor, he was there and left, did not even check on me.

I was given shots for infection and meds to help start contractions. For the baby they gave me steroids for his lungs. Soon back labor began, and they moved me to a holding room, conveniently to the delivery rooms. I hated it, people could walk back and forth looking at me, a sheet hanging up for privacy. I was cattle in the waiting area, waiting to be slaughter.

Then the family began to arrive, and they brought kids. They talked moved and drove me crazy. I was in so much pain, especially in my back and people talking, kids playing, did not help the pain. I wanted to say everyone out, leave me along, like a mad dog, but I was trying to be nice for everyone.

I layed silent, my mom knew if I didn't open my eyes how bad I was hurting. Nurse came by, I said I want an epidural and plus that would mean everyone would have to get out of the room or area as it was lacking a room.

At some point during this time my husband's blood pressure went sky high, the nurses wanted him to go to the ER. He said no, and we talked him into going to my room to lay down and the nurses said they would come get him when I needed him. He stayed gone for about 20 minute and came back saying he felt better, he lied.

Next, epidural was easing some of the pain and I felt like closing my eyes to rest. No such luck here comes visitors. Then I was moved to the first available delivery room. I asked for some privacy to try to use the bed pan, nurses keep coming in and out finally I was like heck with that. Bet they regretted that later.

So they check (and I hate big handed nurses by the way) and we are at 10. Ready lets go, and go and go. I pushed and pushed, my bp went crazy. Baby heart beat started dropping. Finally the nurse told the doctor do something, he cut me wide open "the big E" and 4 nurses jumped on my belly pushing down when I pushed. It was horrible to say the least, I felt like I was in a butcher shop and I was ready to die. The doctor was out of his head, apparently he can undergone knee that same day. His bed side manner was horrible! I looked at my husband pale white and my mom frozen with fear, but both there to hold my hand.

He was born, there was no sound...... I layed there listening to the nurses working with him and finally as the nurse was trying to suction his mouth he began trying to suck back, she pulled it out and he cried. She said what a spoiled little cry, as she had tears in her eyes too. Everyone was relieved to hear him cry and that he was breathing.

I hardly got a good look as they whisked him away, for x-ray. They thought he had a broke arm from the pushing. I was stitched up and then moved back to a room. I wanted to see him, finally about 4 to 5 hours later I was allowed. I practically ran down the hall, to see my baby.

I was scared to pick him up, so I asked my mom to pick him up for me (He didn't have a broke arm). I was shaky and on meds, but when he was in my arms I held tight to my little one. We left him with the nurses and the next day he was in there wearing shades, cause they had him under a light for jaundice.

We finally got to bring him home and he had to have a lamp here too. Next he had an apnea monitor which helped to save his life. I fought tooth and nail to get it, and begged the doctor for it, I was right to. He did have episodes, nothing scarier than knowing your child stops breathing.

30 minutes after getting home, my home turn in a guest hosting. My in laws came and then invited there own company over, that wasn't even family. I told everyone we want to have the first day to ourselves and my family respected my request. I just want to spend time with my new little family.

This lead up to me flipping out and that is another story & the next birth I take control.  I love hearing your birth stories and next one will not be so long.


sara said...

Yikes! What a tough couple of days! I'm so sorry that it was difficult for you.

Jaedyn said...

Oh my gosh, that is awful! I mean, you got your baby and he's alright - that's all that matters. But I hope you don't go back to that same hospital because it can be so much better. I had a private room to labor and give birth in and at least my own bathroom.

I had issues with the in-laws, too, and will make things a bit different next time. I don't think I want anyone at the hospital this next time (I'm due in January) unless they're on a special list. lol It is just stressful. What makes people think it's a big party when someone is really suffering?

I'll be interested in finding out what your plans are for the birth this time, and where you're having the baby and how!

Peggy said...

Wow! that was quite an experience! Thank goodness it had a happy ending:) I think Mom's need to let people know their wishes ahead of time--it saves having hard feelings later:)